Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes pain in penis after intercourse and what is the treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Approx 2-3 years ago after having intercourse, I noticed the appearance of blood on the right underside of my penis right below the head and there was pain when being tourched. My doctor had no clue what was causing this and suggested that I buy new underwear, which I did but was still having the problem. Finally, I had thru this site, directed to purchase a prescription nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP and purchase Soap-freen Hypoallergenic cleansing wash. I used these items for approx. a month, but the problem was not resolved. I finally stopped the treatments. Now, when I have an erection and touch the area of the bottom portion of the head of my penis, I can feel pain and after intercourse, I still get an open sore with surface blood. I take the following medicines daily 1mg propecia, 1/2 an aspirin, 1 50mg atenolol [blood pressure], 1 40mg simvastatin.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Bleeding due to Injured band of adhesion. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have a band of adhesion between frenulum and glans penis which gets injured during intercourse resulting in to bleeding and forming a sore over under surface of glans. However this can be confirmed only on clinical examination by a qualified Urologist . Please consult him and get the diagnosis confirmed. If confirmed you may need to excise the band under local anaesthesia. It is a simple surgery carried out as a out patient procedure and offers permanent cure. In the mean while if you have sore there take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime twice daily and topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin for local application. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes pain in penis after intercourse and what is the treatment? 15 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX I did go to an urologist 1-2 years ago and he told me to buy new underwear, which I did, however the problem still exists. What now?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take a second Opinion Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Getting bleeding and sore after intercourse is possible only due to injury and unlikely to be due to inner wares. Please take second opinion when you will have sore on the under surface of penis, Is it possible for you to post photographs.? so as to help me in making comments. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes pain in penis after intercourse and what is the treatment? 1 hour later
I am not sure a picture would be clear. There is a "burgundy" color ring around the base of my penis head, which does not go away. Do you have any urologist's names close to Germantown, MD 20874?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer: I do not know ant Urologist near your town. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. The ring that you have looks to be most likely to be due to a ring of adhesion. However can be confirmed only on clinical examination by a qualified General Surgeon or Urologist. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.