What causes pain in my tailbone?

I have an issue with my tailbone or I thought it was my tailbone and I went to a physical therapist for awhile and they said it was a soas muscle issue. It was getting better but therapy was too expensive so I quit and 2 months ago I had a baby and it flared up again so far pain medication has been the only help and the cheapest route but I don't have insurance and can't haul a newborn in a heavy car seat to doctors offices because this pain issue is so bad. What should i do? Sitting in cars makes this way worse too
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NSAIDS, Cushions, Avoid prolonged sitting. water. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understanding your concern. I suspect the pain on sitting is due to Coccydynia. Because of the following reasons 1. Pain worse after sitting 2. Aggravated after baby delivery 3. Getting better after physical therapy. Also coccydynia is more common in women than it is in men. Symptoms of coccydynia can be greatly controlled by NonSteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen. You should avoid prolonged sitting and sitting on hard surfaces. Use "donut" Cushions which have a hole cut out in the center, where the coccyx would otherwise be pressing otherwise use "wedge" cushions (which have a wedge-shaped triangle cut out in the rear of the cushion, where the coccyx would otherwise be pressing). Apply ice or a cold pack to the area several times a day usually for 20 to 30 minutes. Applying heat or a hot pack to the area will decrease the pain. Local steroid injections are also helpful in relieving pain Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.