What causes pain in muscles and joints?

Dec 2012

I have Hep C type one. In 2004 I completed treatment with interferon, and riboviron. The virus however returned. In 2011 I was on triple treatment which added telapovir. The treatment was halted due to a severe rash from the telaprevir. Not long after some back problems that I had previously controlled with aspirin or Motrin. Fast forward to present I have pretty bad pain that began in my hands and has progressed to my shoulders to some degree. Most is hands wrists and forearms. Existing knee problems have worsened, new pain in right hip, and my ankles are beginning to give me some problems. I have been taking oxy-codone and am up to about 40 mg a day. Mornings are really bad. Just got tested for rheumatoid factor and was negative. My Hep C doc also had them check my liver function and said all that looked good. I have been reading quite a bit on the internet of folks having similar stories. That is about it.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Polyarticular pain has various possible causes Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on HCM, I am quite sorry for all your health problems and hope you feel better soon. Besides the fact that your multiple joints (polyarticular) pain symptoms maybe related to hepatitis C infection (which apparently is already chronic given. that it has been more than 6 months from initially exposure). So if hep c is not the cause of your polyarticular pain, then it is likely that you maybe having another form of joints pain. Rheumatoid arthritis is not the only type of rheumatic diseases that exist. They exist various forms which include septic polyarthritis (due to infection), gouty arthritis, inflammatory arthritis etc. So saying, doing only an RF will not suffice but your doctor will have to consider doing a full blood panel i.e CBC, ESR, CRP, ASLO, serum uric acid, serum electrolytes, kidney function test, fasting blood sugar, urinalysis etc. These tests are both aimed in ruling out or confirming any possible cause. If these tests all come out clean, then it is possible that you maybe having polyarticular pain related to the hepatitis C. At this point, I will recommend an internist with background in rheumatology. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Feel free to write back if you have any further questions. Dr. Nsah