Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes pain in mouth down throat to color bone after tooth extraction?

I had a bottom rear tooth pulled 3 weeks ago. A week later, the area was infected and formed a socket which had to be opened up and cleaned out again. In the 3rd week, I have a sore on the side of my tongue the size of a quarter that has been injected with steroids by ENT Dr. and I continue to put paste on it 3 times a day. The main problem is I also have major pain on the same side of the sore all the way down my throat to my color bone area and cannot swallow without extreme pain. The ENT Dr. said my throat looked fine. This has gone on too long. Any advise, at wits end !!!!!
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam 11 hours later
Brief Answer: need good imaging Detailed Answer: Since you said you are suffering from terrible pain you need to get good imaging like CECT scan to look for what is happening. Sometimes deep seated abscess, which is nothing but a pocket of pus, can give rise to such pain. but usually such infected pockets can be sensed by clinical examination. But if you are suffering, imaging is required before coming to a conclusion that everything is normal. If any suspicious areas are seen on CT scan, such lesions can be tested by needle test and it can be sent for necessary tests like microscopy, culture, etc....
Follow-up: What causes pain in mouth down throat to color bone after tooth extraction? 8 hours later
Thank you. Will start there
Answered by Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam 2 days later
Brief Answer: you are welcome sir Detailed Answer: you are welcome Sir