What causes pain in lower left abdomen with Irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis?

I have beed a patient here before. My name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am 59 and have been diagnosed with diverticulosis and over the last several years I have had symptoms of diverticulitis on occasion, two of which put me in the hospital.The last attack the put me in the hospital was about a year ago. I have had several colonoscopies,the last one was about 2 months after the last bout. When I am symptomatic I always have the pain in the usual spot in the lower left abdomen. Recently over the last month I am having pain a little higher up in the region a little higher up than the usual spot, just under the bottom rib. The pain is more of a dull ache and goes and comes. It is not painful to the touch or pressure, just a dull ache. Also I have had IBS all my life and deal with that as well. Could this dull ache still be a part of my two ailments or could it be a sign of something else? Thank you very much. XXXXXXX A.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: In my opinion it is because of the IBS Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I feel I would be the best person to answer your query as I have treated many patients with IBS and other colon conditions, and even more because I myself have been suffering from IBS since almost 4 years now. In my opinion the pain that you have described very accurately matches the pain experienced and described by many of my IBS patients and by me myself as well. So in my opinion this particular pain in this exact location would be related to either one of your conditions and not because of a third condition. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me foe any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.