What causes pain in left hemicranial/retromastoid region,with mild visual disturbances and lightheadedness?

Neurologist, Surgical
I have a pain on the left hand side of my skull behind my ear, it hurts when i press on the area and it seems to effect my vision a little and doesn't make me feel dizzy but my left side of my head feels a little strange. The GP today said that it is just a normal pain that you can get on the skull..she said just take pain killers, however it didn't help. What is your opinion please? I get it on and off and have for awhile but just put it down to stress, but i have had it for 2 days now and seems to be more distinct this time. The GP said that she could send me to a neurosurgen to botox the nerve but didn't advise it.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: headache /retromastoid pain Detailed Answer: RESPECTED MA,AM HELLO WISHING YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY I have gone through your medical history in detail Feeling of pain in left hemicranial /retromastoid region , with mild visual disturbances , lightheadedness & tenderness off & on needs investigations & treatment . May i suggest you to 1. Continue taking ANALGESICS/ ANTI ANXIETY MEDICATIONS for symptomatic relief . 2 Get MRI BRAIN to rule out any intracranial lesion etc 3 If mri brain is normal , get your MRI CERVICAL SPINE to rule out high cervical lesions , as these can also cause similar symptoms . 4. NO NEED TO GO FOR BOTOX as botox is only for chronic cases with specific neuralgias etc. 5. Continue with physiotherapy etc. Thanx Hope this answers your querry DR XXXXXXX K XXXXXXX DIRECTOR DEPTT. OF NEUROSURGERY