What causes pain in hamstring buttocks,lowerback and groin areas?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, for about 6 months now on and off I have been having problems with my left leg, I am gettin pain in my hamstring buttocks, lowerback and groin areas. sometimes I can play fine other times not good at all to the point its hard to lift the leg when im changing clothes. I play alot of basketball and the problem has not fully gone away, the 1st time I seen a Dr they said it was a strain, but im thinking it must be more, any ideas on what it could be or what i can do to help fix thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to get an MRI scan . Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From the description of symptoms, I don't think your pain is muscular in origin as the muscle pains seldom goes beyond 3 weeks. Posterior pain and buttock pain is most often associated with Lumbar spine pathology. You need to get an MRI scan of the area done. So I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care