What causes pain in finger cuticle?

I have extreme pain in the cuticle of my ring finger that has persisted for a very long time. The pain can be cause by just tapping the finger or cold temperatures. The MD tested me for RA but the test came back negative. It is not discolored or red. Do you have any ideas as it keeps me from being able to use my hand. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: RA still possible, needs evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to HCM. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Common causes for pain in cuticle of finger are infection in nail bed( under treated), arthritis, or bursa inflammation around joint. Though RA factor is negative, rhematoid arthritis is still a possible cause, as RA factor has less sensitivity, negative cases doesn't rule out rhematoid arthritis. For my patient with these complaint first i would like to get X- ray of hand to see for bone changes. I would like to treat them with anti inflammatory medications initially considering inflammation, If it doesn't improve like to get tested for RA and treatment for same. Infection under nail bed do causes similar pain, on examination of finger helps to rule out or confirm this condition. Hope this information helpful to you. Feel free to ask further related query. I will be glade to answer them. Wish you a good health, Regards