What causes pain in feet?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My feet hurt. I have a client that walks at least three miles a day at a brisk pace. I weigh 280. We have been walking since the beginning of the year. I wear tennis shoes....any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems that you are suffering from plantar fascitis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia. A short term rest and oral anti inflammatory drugs are required to take care of the inflammation. To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime. A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort. Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain. Reducing weight will also help. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment of plantar fasciitis. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities. If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis. You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs after getting yourself examined from an Orthopedician I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care