What causes pain in epigastric region after meals?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello Doctor. My child is 10.5 yrs old. Having pain in epigastric region since last Tuesday. the pain occurs after meals. it first increases then becomes constant. I started with Pentocid 20 mg twice daily and Mucaine gel( 10 ml) thrice daily ( prescribed for 7 days). three days of medication are complete but his pain is not going. should I increase Mucaine dose.I am worried. pl advice. for your information he was diagnosed with similar symptoms two years back and doc said this a case of gastritis. he was given Lanzol 30 OD and mucaine gel for 10 days and he was fine. this time symptoms are similar but pain is not going.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer: needs further evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. I think gastritis could be present but pain should have shown dome improvement in these three days. If the pain is persistent the following possibilities should be considered. a) Worm infestation. b) Mesentric adenitis c) hiatus hernia which is a complication of gastritis. I would advice you to get ultrasound abdomen to rule out majority of other problems. In simple gastritis ultrasound will be normal. That should be the initial workup I suppose. Increasing mucaine dose can be done Upto 15 ml thrice daily to see if it helps. Wishing him good health Dr Arun
Follow-up: What causes pain in epigastric region after meals? 2 days later
thanks for your response doctor. I went back to my peadia and he recommended drotin syrup alongwith Pentocid and Mucaine and has asked to wait for another three days. as the child's other activities are normal, it could be attack of severe gastritis. I have observed that sometimes pain responds to food. Sometimes it becomes less after meals. will it be okay if I give him only Pentocid. Please give your inputs. otherwise I'l take him to gastro. regards
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can wait Detailed Answer: As your pediatrician said, you can wait for 3 days and see if pain settles. If pain decreases after meals, gastritis is definitely present. Should settle soon I hope. Continue pantocid meanwhile. If no improvement in 3 days get ultrasound. Regards Dr Arun