What causes pain in collarbone while sneezing?

I have had pain in collarbone and right where my collarbone meets in the middle of my neck for quite some time now. When I sneeze, it hurts very bad for about 30 seconds all through my shoulders, neck, and collarbone, unless I hold my arms straight up in the air when I sneeze, it does not hurt at all????
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 15 hours later
Brief looks like that you may have either sprain or some displacement of clavicle bone at SCJ. Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. The meeting point of collarbone with the chest bone called as sternum,is called as STERNOCLAVICULAR JOINT ( SCJ ). The most likely cause for pains in SCJ are due to some trauma resulting in either just a sprain or some displacement of of clavicle bone at the SCJ joint.Although osteo arthritic changes can also cause pain but it looks less likely in you considering your young age. This displacement is generally anteriorly and very rarely posteriorly. Normally treatment advised is rest,sling,local icing and anti inflammatories like ADVIL or MOTRIN. Before resorting to treatment,it is important to get the problem diagnosed by consulting an orthopedician and getting the radiography done. Plain X- ray generally is of very little help,since there are various structures over it. The best is to get the CT or MRI done for exact evaluation. As explained above the treament is generally conservative but a surgery is required in rare instances of dislocation backwards. Consult an orthopedician and get the needful done. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What causes pain in collarbone while sneezing? 4 hours later
Thank you. I did have very low levels of VitD and take 50,000 units once a week so is it possibility ot could be arthritic?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello, Deficiency of VIT D can cause general bone pains but not the type of pain you are having at SCJ. The chances of having osteo arthritis at such a young age is very less. In my opinion the cause is most likely traumatic. Thanks