What causes pain in chest along with shoulder blade?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Pain shoulder blade and front of xhest , noshirt of breath nothing makes it better. I thiught i was having heartvattack bit its been over hour . Just dull ache
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to a cardiac cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Having pain in the chest covering the shoulder blade can be due to cardiac problem like ischemia even if your blood pressure and other parameters are normal. The symptoms of heart attack include squeezing type of chest pain with sweating and nausea/vomiting. The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc. The other possibilities that need to be ruled out with the help of your physician are muscular pain, GERD, Pleuritis, etc. The pain also could be due to musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎ Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on deep breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc. GERD: This condition too presents with the similar symptoms as described by you and usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors group of drugs. Panic attacks: This is a condition that is seen in hyperthyroid patients with anxiety related symptoms. This can also present with chest pain and other generalized symptoms. This condition can also be confused with cardiac problems. It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal