What causes pain in armpit?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Armpit pain in both armpits more frequently on left side that will radiate to side of nipple. No lumps, bloodwork normal, heart tests normal, chest X-ray normal. 37 yr old male, 40 lbs overweight. History of anxiety treated with prescriptions
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Musculoskeletal pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The armpit pain radiating to the chest wall that you are experiencing is more likely to be a musculoskeletal pain. This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎ Physiotherapy and hot fomentation may provide early relief. You can also apply a local analgesic gel on the area for early relief. If the pain persists or you develop any new symptom like fever, restriction of movement etc. then seek prompt medical consultation. Otherwise just take adequate rest, a healthy diet and plenty of fluids for better recovery. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes pain in armpit? 58 minutes later
This has been ongoing for almost a year, sometimes it goes away but returns. Are their any excersises i can do to taget the area for relief?
Brief Answer: Exercise will not help with pain. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain. The pain needs to be controlled first after confirmation of diagnosis. You may need oral muscle relaxants and a regular hot fomentation in the area. Do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What causes pain in armpit? 21 hours later
Could this issue be stress/anxiety related since i have had issues with it in the past as well as chrostinitis? (Sp ) sternum inflammation
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello. It can be related to stress anxiety or costochondritis. Decreasing the caffeine intake and relaxation techniques like Yoga can be helpful. Do take some mild anti inflammatory medicines and do a hot fomentation and see if these measures are helpful. Take care and keep e posted regarding your progress. Regards.