What causes pain from left side of chest to above the stomach?

For the past 3 days I have experienced pain that runs from my left side of my chest to right above my stomach. It comes and it goes.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pyrosis/HeartBurn After EKG Detailed Answer: Good day XXXX! Thank you for asking. I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with you pain in left hypochondrium and epigastrium area. XXXX Such presentation is mostly a gastrointestinal manifestation called Pyrosis or heartburn due to reflux disorder called GERD. Also the lower heart MI also present this way but that is unlikely in your case as you are young and it has been on and off for three or more days. But there is no harm in doing an EKG to rule it out. Once that ruled out, All it would need is some diet and lifestyle modifications with some medicines help to help the reflux. Following will help Losing weight (if overweight) Avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, and tomato-based products Avoiding peppermint, coffee, and possibly the onion family[10] Eating small, frequent meals rather than large meals Waiting 3 hours after a meal to lie down Refraining from ingesting food (except liquids) within 3 hours of bedtime Elevating the head of the bed 8 inches Avoiding bending or stooping positions Seek a gastro enterologist opinion in case the problem exist. They will prescribe you some PPIs etc to help the trouble. Hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please." Regards Khan