What causes pain during intercourse in pregnancy?

My wife is pregnant. This is the 4th month continuing. As advised by gyanecologist I avoided sex for first 3 months. After 3 months we resumed sex. But my wife complained that she got acute pain during sex. Is there something wrong ? Have that caused any issue to the baby/organs ? Shall I continue sex or stop ? Please advise.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: No effect on baby. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. Your concerns are valid. But there is no need to worry as the baby is high up in the uterus and it cannot be effected by coitus(sex). So any effects on baby or its organs is not possible. The reason for pain mighthave been lack of lubrication or wetness during intercourse. Also woman especially pregnant cannot lie on her back for long. You can consult your gynaecologist for further instructions. If there is no risk of preterm labor then there is no reason not to resume coitus.also try to change position that may be comfortable to her. Hope this was helpful. Thanks DR Bhagyashree