What causes pain during ejaculation in men ?

Good morning, the last few times my partner and I have had sex, when he ejaculates, it causes great pain for him inside of the whole penis, not just the top. He does not experience any pain at all whatsoever at any other time, not even when urinating, only when he ejaculates. We have engaged in anal sex quite a few times, without a condom, and now he is concerned that perhaps he has an infection of some kind. He will not go to the doctor to seek advice. Could you please advise what you think it could be. He is 39 years old. We have been together for 9 years and have not been with anyone else during this time. I hope you are able to help. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. For pain during ejaculation and otherwise not present needs medical attention and a detailed evaluation by a urologist. Some of the causes which can be responsible for these symptoms in your boyfriend’s case are:

1)     Infections of the prostate, bladder, or seminal vesicles and interstitial cystitis (chronic disease of the urinary bladder associated with pain associated with the bladder, pain associated with urination and pain during ejaculation).
2)     Gonorrheal infections
3)     Urethritis or prostatitis
4)     Any disease of the penis which causes tight foreskin which is difficult to retract like for example Peyronie’s disease

He needs a comprehensive profile of investigations including semen examination, culture, urine culture and examination, PSA levels, STD panel for gonorrhea, swab samples and a cystoscopy if needed to rule out any urethritis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What causes pain during ejaculation in men ? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have this afternoon myself gone to see my local GP as I have had severe pain in the back of my throat which is preventing me from opening my mouth fully. My GP has advised me that I have pharangitis and has prescribed Amoxil 500mg. She said that this is a bacteria in my throat and needs to be treated with antibiotics. I also have a temperature of 37.9 degrees.

I am now wondering, is it possible that I have passed onto my partner the bacteria infection by way of oral sex? I was too embaressed to ask my GP whilst I was with her.

If this is the case, do you think that he would just need a course of the Amoxil also? I did also buy Ural (a urinary tract infection drink) from the chemist whilst I was there for my partner to see if this may assist him.

I look forward to hearing from you.....again.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back. Yes oral sex is one of the methods of transmission of infection from the mouth to the genitalia or vice versa. A sore throat can also result from exposure through oral sex to the bacterium that causes gonorrhoea.

You need to get a throat swab and culture done to identify the bacteria (whether gonorrhea or not) to be causing sore throat in your case and genitalia infection in your partner's case.

Your partner also needs a course of antibiotics if gonorrhea is identified or if the genital infection is by bacteria. Antibiotic course is needed for any bacterial infection, whether pharyngitis or genital infections.