What causes pain calf muscle after running?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor, Recently, I have started running in the morning, but after 2-3 days I am feeling too much of pain in my calf muscle of both legs. however, my legs are healthy and proper structured. Please suggest me on this. Thanks a lot in advance. Regards, XXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Calf muscle strain Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. From description it seems to be calf muscle strain . It usually occurs due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in running may cause these. To get relief from the pain and for quick healing: * Give adequate rest for a few days * Ice packing over the affected area once in 2 hours * Once the acute pain subsides, Moist heat application over the affected muscles * Gradual & gentle stretching exercises * Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation * Gentle massaging of the painful area with pain killer creams may also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW Wishing you speedy recovery... Take care