What causes pain behind ear,weakness and tingling in arms when suffering from hiscystosis?

I have chronic pain behind my right ear - bone and my right arm feels weak and tingling? Any thougts? I suffer from hiscystosis .
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Physical exam, medical history, x rays, ct scan Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, A careful clinical review of the affected area might be needed. Importance aspects of the past medical history is necessary. I would love to know if you have had any ear infections lately, throat infections or sinus infections (sinusitis). The bone behind the ear is called the mastoid bone. this bone has some spaces within it, that are connected to the ears, the throat and the sinuses. A history of an infection in the aforementioned sites therefore could serve as risk factors for infection of this bone that could cause pain. A proper clinical examination by your doctor, especially of the throat, ears and sinuses is important. Depending on the clinical findings, other tests like X rays and Scans could be asked for a proper appraisal of the health condition. I suggest you consult your primary care physician first. Based on your medical history and clinical findings, the opinion of other specialties like ENT specialists could be sought. Please do feel free asking further questions in case of need. I would be humbled making my suggestions towards your well being. Kind regards Dr Bain
Follow-up: What causes pain behind ear,weakness and tingling in arms when suffering from hiscystosis? 16 hours later
Hi Dr yes i have had a ear infection since August and got treated with ear anitbotics. my arm is now feeling weak. Could i have MS? Am very worried
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 34 hours later
Brief Answer: CT scan to be done, probably mastoiditis, brain le Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is therefore very imperative that you should be evaluated for the infection of the bone behind the ear, called mastoiditis, a common complication of poorly treated or serious ear infections. Consulting an ENt specialist once again is very important. It is not excluded that an infection could move to the level of the brain, either causing an abscess that could cause a focal neurologic lesion (like weakness of the arm). However, this is generally accompanied by other signs and symptoms like headache, nausea and vomitting as well as fits. Doing a brain CT scan is important in my opinion. The clinical picture however could not be easily explained by a Multiple Sclerosis (MS). It might be, but is not very likely in this case. I suggest you consult your ENT specialist. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain