What causes pain around the waist?

ive had a pain right handside waist height for two days now the pain has moved to my left side waist height but frint and back its more a dull ache like a stitch
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please provide additional details as requested Detailed Answer: Hi Lady, Thanks for your query. More details are required regarding associated symptoms, such as, appetite, presence of nausea/vomiting, nature of bowel movements, burning while passing urine, increased urination, menstrual problems if any, and vaginal discharge, if any. The required details will give me valuable information/leads to reach to the most-likely possibilities and further course of action. However, the sketchy information suggests the following possibilities:- * Inflammation of ovaries + fallopian tubes with possible vaginal infection (called Salpingo-oopharitis); Pelvic inflammation. * Kidneys' infection or presence of stone(s) * Infection/problem of large intestine (Colon); or, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. EAGERLY AWAITING REQUESTED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes pain around the waist? 5 minutes later
no nausea or vomiting normal bowel movements maybe a bit firmer no burning while passing urine no menstrual problems or discharge on no medicatio n
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take a course of anti-inflammatory drugs Detailed Answer: The new information narrows down the possibilities to either, spasm of the muscles around the waist; or, mild Salpingo-oopharitis. However, please appreciate that physical examination and relevant investigations (if required) are a mandatory requirement for reaching to a definite conclusion. I would therefore, recommend the following course of action:- 1. First, take a 3-5 days' course of a combination of (a) anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen + acetaminophen, and (b) a muscle relaxant, such as Chlorzoxazone. This treatment will take care of both possibilities and your pain should go away completely within 3-5 days' time. 2. If there is NO relief, get an ultrasound of the kidneys and lower abdomen (for uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and pelvis). Consult your doctor along with the ultrasound report. He being the best judge, will decide if you need further tests or, consultation of a relevant specialist. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal