What causes pain around the tail bone area?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 32 year old male I have Tailbone pain left side( Not actual tailbone), like a dull pain. about 3-4 inches below my waste line in the left buttock close to tailbone. The pain is amplified if I have been standing for a long period of time. It is also amplified if I tense up such as using the rest room, its not a world ending pain but more of a dull pain. If I intentionally tense up and then push on the area the pain subsides a bit. I can also feel it more when I intentionally tense up. I do not recall an injury.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could possibly be COCCYDYNIA. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Pain occuring around the tail bone area (coccyx) is termed as coccydynia. Coccydynia is felt as a localized pain and will generally feel worse when sitting or with any activity that puts pressure on the bottom area of the spine. Apart from pain localized around tail bone area, coccydynia may also present with backpain, shooting pain down the legs, pain before or when you pass stools, painful buttocks and hips, pain during sex etc. There are numerous causes for coccydynia. An xray of the involved part (sacrum with coccyx) and an MRI scan will help in identifying the culprit. The general treatment guidelines for this condition includes the following - * Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed * Sitz baths (which involves soaking hips and buttocks in warm water), which helps in providing pain relief * Lean forward while sitting down * Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion * Apply heat or ice to the affected area *Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy * Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil) * If no response is found with analgesic medications, then local corticosteroid injections are given to give a substantially long term pain relief, which may last from few weeks to months. I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed workup and further management. Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help further Regards