What causes pain around mid back and ribs which radiates into the diaphragm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a had an excruciating pain burning around my mid back and ribs which is radiating into my diaphragm for the last three days and is keeping me from sleep. could this be related to smoking and ought i have a chest x ray?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MRI thoracic spine, HRCT [CHEST] Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain in your back and chest. Due to occlusion of vessels there can be burning sensation. This can be related to smoking also. I will advise you to do MRI thoracic spine, HRCT [CHEST] and EMG- NCV [nerve conduction study] X ray may not show details. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.