What causes pain and swelling on left foot?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Left foot for the last 2 weeks very painful on top of foot, today top of foot from the middle to end of toes are very swollen. Just wondering what may be causing the problem. I have not been wearing any different shoes and they are not enclosed, mainly sandals, it's hot in Australia right now.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be inflammatory in nature. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. According to your description , pain and swelling over your left foot seems to be inflammatory in nature. It could be due to an acute attack of gout. I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation, Do icing over affected part and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and rule out any infective cause. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care