What causes pain and swelling on feet?

Apr 2014

My feet swell on a daily basis. However, lately I've been having extreme pain in my left foot whenever I try to stand on it- feels like my veins are going to pop. The pain is on my foot in the inner part on the side of my arch. The pain is piercing and it travels up my leg, a few inches away from my knee. To avoid the pain I've been crawling and walking on the tip of my left toes (my right foot is swollen but not experiencing any pain). What is this? When I go to Emergency Room what kind of service should I request?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need proper clinical exam & investigation. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Pedal edema may be due to many reasons. It may be due to anemia,low albumin,allergic reaction,vascular problem,hypothyroidism,heart problems,medications,trauma etc. Pedal edema is generally painless in nature but you have pain,so bony and soft tissue causes should also be ruled out. You need investigations like routine Hemogram,Random blood sugar,Renal function test,Liver function test,Thyroid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Urine RE/ME.Further investigations like X-rays can be done if needed. You should consult your physician. Treatment of edema depend upon the underlying cause of edema. You should take restricted amount of salt in your diet. Don't stand for prolong period.Try to keep your feet in horizontal level while sitting position. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX