What causes pain and swelling in mouth after a broken tooth?

ckd stage 3, ddd, djd, fibro, plus i had a knee replacement which went horribly wrong and 59 days later my knee cap broke cut the tendon and I had to have surgery for that, now the wires are lose along with the screws and it hurts so bad, but the reason I am contacting you in a couple of weeks ago a tooth broke off, it seemed fine, the a little over a week ago every am I wake up and within 15 mins I have diarrhea, or very loose bowels, I am usually constipated because of the pain meds i take, last night my mouth was hurting really bad and this morning I woke up and it is swollen and hurts like crazy, I am on vacation about 2000 miles from my doctors, so what would you recommend me do and oh I don't have insurance LOL thanks
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Salt water gargling Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The broken tooth you had could have been infected. The pain and swelling are associated symptoms of the same. You will be needing a course of antibiotics. If not, you may have to gargle with antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE or salt water 4 to 5 times a day after food. This will contain the infection and prevent from progressing. Sometimes can also cure the infection. The diarrhea you had may not be related to the tooth problem. It must be evaluated in detail to find out the exact cause. Wish you good health. Regards,