What causes pain and swelling at the bottom of toes?

My 14-yo daughter is experiencing pain and swelling at the bottom of her big toe (top of the foot). She can bend the toe down, but when she tries to bend the toe up, it seems to get "stuck in the middle," but if she keeps pushing, it goes up. It hurts when she walks and slightly throbs when she is sitting still. She describes it as "crackly and bubbly" feeling when she moves it or pushes on the joint. She is not an athlete and is not aware of any activity that would have caused this.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly due to inflammation of joint Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The swelling and pain could possibly be due to inflammation of the joint space of the great toe. I would suggest you the following 1. Get an Xray of the toe in AP and oblique view to rule out any joint pathology In the meantime I would suggest you the following which will definitely help 1. Hot water fomentation 2. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day will provide much needed relief from pain and swelling 3. Tablet Augmentin 625 mg thrice a day for 5 days will help as an antibiotic. If the swelling still persists consultation with your Physician will be necessary to rule out possibility of Gout. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What causes pain and swelling at the bottom of toes? 7 hours later
Thanks for your answer. What is hot water fomentation?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: cotton towel immersed in hot water Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Bring water to boil in an utensil. Immerse soft cotton towel in it and remove it from hot water and apply it to the affected area. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak