What causes pain and burning sensation on knees?

when I kneel on my right knee I get instant pain, burning type. This is new, and only on the right. It does not radiate and is alleviated the minute I remove pressure. It does not bother me at any other time. No memory of injuring it. I am very healthy, 56 male
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: X ray, MRI, clinical review, blood tests Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is already good you have not had any notion of serious trauma. There are two main types of pain. If the pain is completely absent when at rest, or when you lying, it is a mechanical pain. This implies that, you only develop pain with pressure. In this case, treatment measures shall depend on the results of the clinical review and X ray/MRI results. Osteoarthritis can cause degeneration of cartilage and cause pain. Over weight under these circumstances could intensify such a pain. Pain killers, topical anti inflammatory drugs, weight loss, vitamin and Calcium supplements could be useful. In some cases, depending on the extent of damage or causative lesion, surgery could be needed. Physiotherapy has been useful in some patients. In case you experience pain while even at rest, and swelling , this would be an inflammatory pain. Blood tests like an erythrocyte sedimentation (ESR) , if raised would confirm the inflammatory nature of the pain. It is important to note if you have any history of rheumatological disease (rheumatoid arthritis or not). Treatment in this case would be anti inflammatory drugs, steroids or injections at times into the joint. I suggest you consult your doctor for clinical appreciation, blood tests, X rays and an MRI if need be. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain