What causes overnight rash on body?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Should I have this looked at? Woke up with it, and I have never had a rash in my life. It doesn't itch at all.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. I would keep a possibility of Superficial Cellulitis OR Insect bite Hypersensitivity. I need to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --Is it painful Or tender/sore when you touch or press it? --Is it warm to touch? --Any burning sensation over it? I would keep a likely possibility of Erysipelas(superficial cellulitis). Erysipelas is a skin infection that develop as a result of bacterial entry via breaches in the skin barrier. Erysipelas involves the upper dermis and superficial lymphatics, whereas cellulitis involves the deeper dermis and subcutaneous fat. As a result, erysipelas has more distinctive anatomic features than cellulitis: In erysipelas there is a clear line of demarcation between involved and uninvolved tissue, as it is visible in your case. If i was your treating doctor i would have asked you to take an oral antibiotic (Penicillin group e.g Amoxicillin in combination with Clavulanic acid) for a week. An OTC antibacterial like 2% Mupirocin can be applied as well, twice daily. Regards

Follow-up: What causes overnight rash on body? 6 hours later
I had taken wellbutrin yesterday for the first time in a longtime...could it be from medication?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Start Oral Antibiotic Detailed Answer: Hi. Wellbutrin is tri cyclic antidepressant. This is unlikely to be a side effect of Wellbutrin regards

Follow-up: What causes overnight rash on body? 26 minutes later
ive been keeping my eye on it all day, its not as red but still there. Do I need to have it looked at tomorrow?

Brief Answer: Another possibility of a Bruise/Ecchymosis Detailed Answer: Hi. I would also like to keep another possibility here of a bruise/ecchymosis secondary to scratching. I would advice that you keep a watch on it for another day or two. If it worsens then you should immediately see your local care practitioner for a prescription antibiotic whereas a bruise would start to become bluish in color initially and later on resolve by itself within 7-10 days. regards

Follow-up: What causes overnight rash on body? 2 minutes later
its for sure not a bruise. I thought it was weird, the white circle in the middle...never had anything like this. Im going to watch it, and hopefully me taking wellbutrin again is safe.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Watch for any change Detailed Answer: Hi. Wellbutrin can be safely continued. Yes, watch for any change for a day or two. regards

Follow-up: What causes overnight rash on body? 1 hour later
thanks for your help:)

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome :) Detailed Answer: Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Regards