What causes orange ribbon like stools?

Hello, I have had orange ribbon like stools for sometime and its not unusual to have to go to the bathroom 4 or 5 times before lunch? I also have had thyroid cancer and polyps and currently being treated for chronic Lymes disease.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Diet not the cause; some GIT abnormality Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. There are many causes for orange color stools, some of which are normal as well and related to diet, but in your specific case with the added history of frequent visits to the bathroom for a bowel movement and the stringy nature of your stools, I would like to narrow down the possible causes for the orange color stools. This is most likely due to the stool moving too fast inside the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) which prevents the stool from absorbing bile salt. Some abnormality in the GIT, especially inflammation usually causes this. Based on this, I would like to list the possible causes, and they are: -A short bowel (which can be detected on investigation) -Inflammatory bowel disease -Irritable bowel syndrome -Liver and gall bladder abnormalities (eg. cysts, blockage of the bile ducts, inflammation, tumors, etc.) -Diverticulosis -Polyps (were the polyps given in your history in the intestine or elsewhere? If they were in the GIT, then this could very well be the cause sir and may require being addressed) I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.