What causes one's heart rate to speed up when asleep? Also have vision issues. Is it due to running?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello. What causes ones heart rate to speed up when sleeping ? I sleep for several hours at a time and am woken up by a racing heart that is monitored in the 160s to 170s. After I sit up it goes back down to normal within minutes - very quickly.
This has been going on for a month . It began shortly after I started running three miles every morning. I stopped this as soon as the heart issues began even though it made me feel great at the time. I also stopped drinking coffee after 6. The last couple of times I had vision changes with this and have become fearful of going to sleep
I am in the process of arranging for tests but what I really want to know are the possible causes. My husband doesn't think I have a sleep disorder Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 17 hours later
Thank you for your query.

It is unusual for the heart to increase the speed to that extent during sleep. This needs further evaluation.

I would recommend that you do a baseline ECG and a 24-hour Holter monitor to clarify things.

It is essential to rule out arrhythmia as a cause of your symptoms.

If you can do the above tests and upload the results on this website, I can review the same and give you a specific answer.

Awaiting your response
With regards
DR R S Varma