What causes on and off Hiccups?

ENT Specialist
I have been having almost like a "hiccup" feeling in my upper left chest which wakes me up at night - it seems to happen pretty often. Also causing me to jerk slightly...
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: take treatment for reflux Detailed Answer: Hello, Hiccup feeling on and off could be because of the reflux of acid from stomach in the food pipe , because of the acid the muscles of the diaphragm (which separates the chest and abdomen ) get irritated and contract which you feel as hiccup. You must get a Gastroenterologist reference and consult for the problem. Secondly if you snore at night then there are increased chances of acid reflux and so hiccup. If you snore then you must consult an ENT specialist for the same. I advice to my patients to eat frequently like 2 hrly and avoid binge eating or not eating for hours together, secondly go for walk daily , take antacids and antireflux medicines like domperidone.Keep head end of bed elevated. In doubt do reply