Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes oily urine in my child?

dear Doctor, my daughter urinenated oily urine with black tiny specks. What is possible cause? Thank you
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Does she have any other symptoms Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Oily urine can be due to presence of ketone bodies in urine.This can be verified from the labs(a ketone test checks ketones in blood and urine). I need more details about her symptoms to be better able to help you. Please answer the following questions: Are her blood sugars normal? Does she have increased urination? Does she have vomiting or nausea? Is she on any medications? Please share the information to help you better. Thanks.
Follow-up: What causes oily urine in my child? 8 hours later
dear Doctor her blood sugar is normal. according to her urination is normal. no vomiting, nausea & she's not on any medication. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I would ask for urine analysis Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing me back. This rules out diabetic ketoacidosis which is one of the most common causes of oily urine(presence of ketone bodies). I would send a sample to the lab for urine analysis in your case which will give a clue about the diagnosis. However I do not expect any serious troubles now. Thanks.