What causes off balance and dizziness?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I have been feeling very off balance lately and having dizzy spells, i ahve anxiety issues which has caused EXTREMELY tight neck and shoulder muscles, i had a physical neuro exam in XXXXXXX and and many ecgs blood work and chest xrays since then. Could the tight muscles be causing these off balance and dizziness issues
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes,tight muscles cause off balance&dizziness... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, you are right, the tight muscles of the neck and should can cause off balance and dizziness issues. If you are also having spondyloarthrosis (arthritis of the spine of the neck level), that can give such complains too. I'd suggest to keep the neck and shoulder area warmed enough by applying a warm clothing and analgesic cream. Furthermore, anemia or hormonal changes can also cause being off balance and dizziness together with high cholesterol or oscillations in blood sugar/pressure. You can forward the results of the tests you did to me for further evaluation! Thank you! Dr.Sonila
Follow-up: What causes off balance and dizziness? 2 hours later
Thank you so much for your answer, its been a vicious cycle had horrible panic attack for a few months which caused this tension and now the tight muscles are causing dizziness and balance problems which now has been causing a little bit of anxiety again
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 10 hours later
Brief Answer: If tests were negative of serious disease,no worry Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. It is true that pain can trigger panic attack and anxiety, which is worsening the feeling of pain. The more pain you have, the more anxiety you get, and the more you feel the pain. As you said, it is a vicious cycle. Now, as long as the tests did not result anything serious, then, you should not worry. These are temporary, but painful, conditions that will resolve by time. I'd advise: - to keep the painful area well warmed - keep massaging - do more physical activities. At the beginning, start with massaging, then, go for light-to-moderate exercise. All the best! Dr.Sonila