Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes occassional pain on tip of penis when I start to pass urine?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Hi, I have occassional pain in the tip of penis when start to pass urine. Once the urine is out- don't feel any pain ; just at the tip. No discharge and no frequent urination as well. Some dark spots have started to appear on skin of penis though. Any idea/suggestion whst it is and how to solve it? Thank you
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urine test before starting an antibiotic. Detailed Answer: Hi. I would like to know your marital status, use of condom or spermicidal jelly, masturbation, sexual activity just to get an idea. The commonest cause of this problem can be just a non-specific urethritis ( meaning no specific cause can be found), passing of the small stone or concentrated urine in recent times. There is no discharge or frequent urination, is a good sign. The appearance of the dark spots may not be related to this problem. First of all I would advise such a patient to undergo tests of urine- routine, microscopy and culture sensitivity before starting any antibiotic suitable for urinary tract. Also would advise to drink plenty of water orally to make urine sufficiently diluted. If a course of 7 days does not help- I would recommend to undergo urethro-cystoscopy and Sonography of abdomen to see the condition of the whole urinary system. A consultation with Urologist and / Dermatologist will confirm the nature of the black spots you are developing on the skin.
Follow-up: What causes occassional pain on tip of penis when I start to pass urine? 5 hours later
Hi dr, Thank you for your reply. I am single, have not had sex in over a month now, bi-sexual male, last check for HIV/STD was in January and returned negative results. Had this same issue in December last year but it stopped after a week or two
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the guidelines Detailed Answer: Hi. Good to know the results are negative. Please follow the guidelines , you will be relived and may not have this problem again.