What causes occasional lump in throat that leads to mucous cough in the morning?

Rheumatologist
Question
so I have a lump in my throat that comes and goes. it feels if it right behind my tongue on the left side of my throat. I cough up a lot of mucus when I wake up and throughout the day. and when I clear my throat the lump feeling goes away. plus I don't have a sore throat or anything like that
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that since you cough up a lot of mucus at waking up the lump feeling you get may be due to pooling of secretions in the throat behind the tongue specially in the night when you lie down as your reflexes are weak in the night time and there is less coughing so clearing of throat is not possible . I would advise you to have a Chest X Ray done , eosinophils count for finding out the cause behind this mucus coughing . Sinec there is no history of fever bacterial infection is unlikely . Cigarette smoking can also lead ro similar complaints . I will advise you to see an ENT Specialist for this purpose because auscultation of chest will be required for diagnosing the cause and physical examintion is very important . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes occasional lump in throat that leads to mucous cough in the morning? 1 minute later
OK when I drink water the feeling does go away or when I have a cough drop. could it be cancerous or could it be anxiety?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, It doesnt look to be cancerous as per the history , sounds more like allergic but still evaluation will be highly recommended . If all your tests come out normal it can be labelled as anxiety . Dr. Shruti