What causes numbness in right hand?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Hi, when I wake up my right hand is completely numb. It has been happening repeatedly, nearly every day. When I make a fist several times the numbness goes away. I do not take any medication apart from asprin. In July 2013 I had radio frequency ablation for AF and appear to be cured after that event. Apart from the numb hand I am in good health and not over weight. Also, I do not sleep on my right side so position is not causing the numbness? Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible trapped nerve. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From your description of your problem, you may be suffering from a trapped nerve. This may be at the elbow. When you wake up and move your arm this relieves the pressure on the nerve and the numbness goes away. I suggest you consult a neurologist who may wish to scan your arm or perform nerve conduction studies. In the meantime, you could try sleeping with your arm in various positions to see if there are any differences with the numbness. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: What causes numbness in right hand? 2 hours later
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have also been experiencing a slight tingly feeling in both hands. It is a weird feeling to wake up with a totally numb hand could a nerve affect both hands?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible carpel tunnel syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for this additional information. A tingling in both hands could be a sign of carpal tunnel syndrome. This is compression of a nerve at the wrist and can happen in one or both hands. It can be managed with wrist supports worn at night. More severe or recurrent symptoms can be treated with a minor operation. A neurologist will be able to confirm the diagnosis. I hope this is of help to you. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: What causes numbness in right hand? 16 hours later
Thank you for your reply

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you Detailed Answer: Hi, I hope you feel better soon. If you have no further questions, you may close the query. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger