What causes numbness in fingers?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have bilateral pinky and ring finger numbness when I awaken . Goes away when I shake it ...this has been going on for 2 weeks every day. No weakness. I have no medical problems and I'm very active .. Triathlon and crossfit are my workouts. I also have slight pain\ soreness on my right hand when I clenched my fist.. I have no other symptoms ... No neck, back, shoulder , arm pain. The pAin started when I came back from a ski trip and I slep on a sofa bed.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to mild nerve compression. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The numbness that you are feeling is likely to be due to a minor nerve compression at the level of elbow wrist or cervical spine. Sleeping on the sofa bed can also cause such nerve compression due to abnormal neck position. most of the times such minor symptoms do improve on improvisation of posture and avoiding using a pillow. In case the symptoms are persistent then do consult a neurologist for a nerve conduction study and MRI scan to find out the exact site of compression. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes numbness in fingers? 1 hour later
Why do you say it's minor nerve compression??? Does it sound like a herniation of the cervical spine ??? What would you call a major nerve compression??
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to cervical disc herniation. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. A major nerve compression is associated with a shooting severe pain and muscle weakness. A short lasting tingling is suggestive of a minor degree of compression. It can be due to herniation of cervical spine also. The cause needs to be ascertained after a clinical examination and investigations. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What causes numbness in fingers? 16 hours later
My symptoms a relieved now with Ibprofen and methylprendsone... Now I have soreness on my left lower scapula... It increases on movement . It's not big time .. Feels like I slept wrong... But could it be involved with herniated disc or is it I just slept wrong??? Does not increase on movement on neck.. I still don't have neck pain.. I'm also on flexril...
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to wrong posture. Detailed Answer: Hello. The pain in the scapula can be due to a muscle sprain due to sleeping in a wrong posture. It is not likely to be due to cervical spondylosis. Since pain killers and steroid are providing adequate relief you can continue with it. The symptoms are likely to be better in next few days. Regards.