What causes numbness followed by burning sensation in the fingers and palms?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
For the last 10 to 15 days my wife has continous numbness in both hands followed by burning sensation in the fingers, palm...
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It seems to be carpal tunnel syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to diagnose the condition, but as per history it seems to be carpal tunnel syndrome. Things that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome include: Illnesses such as hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes. Making the same hand movements over and over, especially if the wrist is bent down. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopaedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. She may get some blood tests to see if any health problems might be causing her symptoms and nerve testing under his/her guidance. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care