What causes numbness below ribcage after alcohol consumption?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Hi after I drink alcohol I have been recently getting this numbness on my left side. It's below my rib cage and isn't really a pain it's more of an annoyance than anything. Thanks
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most likely due to gastric irritation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Numbness in people who are heavy drinkers is due to alcoholic polyneuropathy, It usually develops after years of heavy use and is mostly felt in the limbs. It is permanent and is not related to the timing of alcohol intake. The symptoms that you describe appear to be different from this. You mention that the site of numbness is in upper left abdomen below rib cage and follows alcohol intake. I presume that it goes away in a few hours. In my opinion, it is not due to any involvement of nerves, but is due to irritation of the lining of the stomach by alcohol. Although numbness is not a common manifestation of gastritis, many patients report feeling abnormal sensations like cold sensation or numbness due to gastritis or acid reflux. This seems to be the most probable reason for your symptoms. You can test this by seeing if the numbness is worse when you drink in an empty stomach. Although it is not much of a problem for you right now, it will be better to take precautions to prevent any worsening. Taking alcohol after eating something will reduce the irritation of stomach lining. Antacids can be taken if required. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry