What causes numbness and tingling sensations on tongue and lips?

Nov 2013

I am having weird sensations on my tongue and lips for days on end. It is difficult to explain the tongue feeling. I suddenly realize it is pressed tightly against my teeth, it feels like a numbing, tingling sensation. My lips feel similar, but more of a mild numbing feeling. This has been going on for days. I have had this in the past but it has only lasted a day or so. This may or may not be related to other conditions I have been experiencing for two years - on and off, but recently on. My feet feel cold at times and they really aren't when I touch them. When I walk the balls of my feet are sensitive, sometimes my heels. My leg muscles feel tight and always feel the way they would after a tough workout - slightly weak, but feeling is to stretch. I stretch everyday, sometimes several times. I have had an EMG for peripheral neuropathy - negative. Blood work - low glucose. Lymes disease. MRIs on low back. Very frustrating to not know what is going on or to get any relief. Advil doesn't do anything. my tongue feels as though I burnt it on hot coffee -if that helps describe it Help.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Your symptoms are neurological in origin, and may be related to your symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, which you have described above. The usual causes are metabolic (low or high sugar, thyroid problem, vitamin B12 deficiency, etc). In some cases, a lack of blood supply in the lower brain (brain stem) may also be responsible. For symptom relief, you could take either pregabalin or duloxetine capsules. If symptoms persist, you may get an MRI scan of brain done. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: