What causes numbness and tingling in the feet?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 74 years, 3 yrs agO I was in the hospital for 8 months treated for gout and sepsis, I had 6 operations and couldn't move out of bed for 7 of the months. I've gone thru extensive rehab including power plates. I am pretty much back in shape now, play golf, just got back from a rather rigorous trip in Thyiland with a lot of walking but from my arches to my toes on both feet constantly feel numb. I'm taking medication for the gout which has helped immensely but hasn't helped the numness from my arch to my toes. Any suggestions ?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to do MRI spine and EMG-NCV. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have read your query: The abnormal sensations that you have such as numbness, tingling are termed peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral Neuropathy is a condition caused by damage to the peripheral nervous system [most commonly seen in diabetic patients]. Another possibility could be nerve compression in spine due to disc bulge. Due to compression of this nerve root there is tingling numbness in your foot. I will advise you to do MRI spine and EMG-NCV[Nerve conduction study] and consult to orthopaedic surgeon. Change your diet and remove inflammatory foods such as citrus fruits, dairy products and wheat that may aggravate peripheral neuropathy. Simultaneously increase your intake of potassium and calcium-rich foods such as bananas and avocados and green leafy vegetable. Vitamin B12 is important in the maintenance of health and normal functioning of the nerve tissue and deficiency of it can lead to numbness. You can increase B12 level by taking meat and fish, or you can take Inj methylcobalamine. Continue your medication for gout. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.