What causes numbness and popping sensation in in left knee?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
A few weeks ago I was getting up from squatting and heard a loud pop in my left knee followed by about 30 seconds of pain and a short period of numbness. For several days I had popping and catching while walking when the leg was coming forward. Now as the days have gone by, I have a dull radiating pain that runs from my knee to hip when walking and from my knee to foot when bent and sitting. It hurts to go up or down the steps and hurts when I carry anything weight bearing. It hurts to bend knee back and it has a dull ache when perfectly straight. I thought that it would just go away but as the days go on it seems to be getting slightly worse each day. What do I need to do?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Might be due to Ligament injury. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on the description of your symptoms, most propably you might have suffered Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury in your knee along with meniscal damage. A direct clinical examination and an MRI scan of your knee joint is needed to establish the correct diagnosis and the severity of damage to the structures inside the knee joint. Management/treatment depends on the condition diagnosed. There is no role for "wait and watch" policy as your symptoms are worsening as the days are passing by. So, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow-up: What causes numbness and popping sensation in in left knee? 17 minutes later
If I choose to try and manage the aches and pains will I risk further damage to my knee in the long run?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, further damage is a likely possibility. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. There is every possibility that you may cause more damage to your knee joint in future, if proper diagnosis and treatment is not taken at this point of time. There may not be any serious disability for you right now but if the Internal derangement of knee (IDK) is not addressed properly, slowly but surely it will lead to early degenerative arthritis in the knee joint. So, why would you like to take a chance? Act swiftly and get proper treatment for your ailment. Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarification Good day