What causes numbnes and tingling on tip of the thumb?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My R) thumb tip feels numb and I have been getting a lot of pins and needles in it. It is also a little sore in the area between the thumb and finger. This has been developing over a couple of months and has got worse. I often get pins and needles in my hands and arms when I am in bed just gently resting on them.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It could be due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. With the symptom of numbness as well as tingling it sounds much more as if this is a nerve entrapment. Considering area of numbness and pins and needle sensation,it could be due to carpal tunnel syndrome. The nerves to the fingers go through a small tunnel at the wrist to get into the hand – called the carpal tunnel. Pressure in this area causes the symptoms. It can be worse at night and cause pain or discomfort that may wake you. I suggest you to get it evaluated by your doctor for thorough examination. After examination your doctor may advice you for NCV/EMG test to confirm the diagnosis. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes numbnes and tingling on tip of the thumb? 8 hours later
Ok i was thinking along these lines, but then wonder why i get a "dead hand" when it is tucked under my face to sleep at night. This never use to happen but now is a regular occurrance. This can be either hand depending on which side I sleep.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 hours later
Brief Answer: More compression of nerve Detailed Answer: Hello mam, It could occur due to more compression of nerve in the tunnel or compartment when your hand and wrist tucked under your face.
Follow-up: What causes numbnes and tingling on tip of the thumb? 13 hours later
Thankyou for your in Yt
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: WELCOME Detailed Answer: I am glad to know that I could address your concern. If you have no further query, please close the discussion, rate the answer and give your reviews about this service. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW