What causes nonresponsiveness and pin point pupils?

I have a severly handicapped grandson 27 years old, wheelchair bound, with several problems. He is not able to get to medicines or cleaning agents. He was sitting in his wheelchair, "sleeping" and they tried to wake him up to find him non responsive and pinpoint pupils. He had a pulse and was breathing. In the ER about 15 minutes later, he had a cardiac arrest and had to be placed on a vent. He is getting a cat scan now. He had narcan with any change in condition. He does not respond to pain or voice. The pinpoint pupils are confusing. He did not hit his head or fall during the day that they know of.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pinpoint pupils can be due to pontine bleed Detailed Answer: Hello Sorry to learn about your grandson's health. Sudden nonresponsiveness and pin point pupils may be indicative of hemorrhage in pontine area of brain. It should be clarified soon. It is generally not a good sign but if you are lucky, he can come out. The scan is going to be the crucial element now. I would like to be followed up after the CAT scan is done. God Bless DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Follow-up: What causes nonresponsiveness and pin point pupils? 14 hours later
He as sepis from aspiration and is on the vent at 60% and dopamine for bloodpressure, and normal antibodicts We will know about the sepsis at about early evening.........then work on his infection in both lungs. Follow up is that no damage to his neuro, cardiac,etc....just now, the infection ... So, that is the story, I have worked intensive care and just getting to the the cause........the ER did very well and fast................ However, being such a head banger, I (and they) worried about a bleed as you were referring to. So, thank you
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: I pray for his recovery to Almighty Detailed Answer: Hello Though it is pretty worrisome, still we should hope for the best because once the cause is identified, there are good chances of recovery. I shall be happy if I can be of any further help. Good Luck DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA