What causes night terrors in a baby?

granddaughter was screaming in her sleep wouldn't wake up. Woke up when pulled up to ER. ER said night terrors. She is 9 months old and was 7 weeks early and weighted 4lb 6oz 32 weeks gestation. Kept in NICU 1 week. on antibiotic for ear infection bout a month ago. had vaccinations. currently weighs about 16lbs. Pretty much on track as far as I know as she pulls up on things, crawls and plays. Can you give me some insight on this?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1. Did she have any motor movements (movement of body) during this episode? 2. Were any blood investigations done when you went to ER? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD Neuro-Psychiatrist and Sexologist
Follow-up: What causes night terrors in a baby? 2 hours later
I'm just going on what my daughter told me. She said she had her eyes closed and was screaming and crying for like 20 or 30 mins. She said they tried to wake her up by calling her and sprinkling water but it didn't work so they went to the ER. She woke up when they got there. The Dr talked to them but she seemed fine so they didn't do anything. Just said she gets night terrors.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Intestinal Colic Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for all the additional information. The kind of episode that you are describing could very well be a night terror but it would be too early to label her a night terror. But the other more probable causes are Intestinal Colic. Such colicky pains are very common in this age group. At times it could also be due to intussuseption, where in one part of intestine goes into another causing pain. During 9 months of age lot of development takes place in the abdomen and such pains are very common. They generally don't persist in adulthood, although they appear scary at night. Most of them are self remitting and it should not other you much. I have many such children in my clinic in whom I prescribe Colimax drops and they get well very soon within minutes. You may discuss this option with your pediatrician. Even if it is night terror, nothing much can be done at this stage and most of the night terror victims settle down with age. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.