What causes negative Hydrocodone traces in urine test depite consumint it daily?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am taking Hydrocodone through a pain management clinic. I have had several urine tests that show negative??? I do not sell, or give away any of these pills, I am the only person taking them. How can this be? I take one 7.5mg pill per day. I take them several days before the test, and even the morning of the test, and I keep coming up negative? What is wrong and what can I do? Thanks.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry about this. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You are taking a very low dose of hydrocodone and we all metabolize medications slightly different. There might be possibility that your levels fall below the threshold of the test. So do not worry about this. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes negative Hydrocodone traces in urine test depite consumint it daily? 3 hours later
How do I explain this to my pain clinic? They want verification that I'm taking my pills not selling them?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 hours later
Brief Answer: You can explain to your pain clinic that- Detailed Answer: Hi, You can explain to your pain clinic that this is because hydromorphone is the metabolite of hydrocodone and the liver produces these metabolites in trace amounts and depending on the the threshold of the urine test, false positives of these opioids may occur.