What causes neck and shoulder pain,swelling and numbness on neck and chin after breast cancer recovery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had an apparent pulled neck muscle month ago. Then neck and shoulder pain and up behind my ear. Now neck swollen on that side and have numbness on neck and under chin. Most recent is dizziness from supine to upright position. Am a breast cancer survivor, so every ache seems suspicious.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to cervical degenerative changes. Detailed Answer: Hi, Symptoms you have described seems to be due to cervical degenerative changes causes compression over nerve fibres and vascular structure resulting in numbness and dizziness. Xray of cervical spine lat view and mri of affected region will be helpful to diagnose the condition. Avoid lifting weight over neck, avoid pillows or using thin one. Doing hot fomatation and applying muscle relaxant gel will be helpful. Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes neck and shoulder pain,swelling and numbness on neck and chin after breast cancer recovery? 1 hour later
Does the vascular compression pose a stroke or other risk?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer: It does not pose stroke or any other risk. Detailed Answer: Hi, It does not pose stroke or any other risk. Intermittent vertebral artery compression by cervical osteophytic spurs to be the cause of vertigo(dizziness). The resultant effect is in the vertebrobasilar circulation that supplies the part of the brain involved in balance.