What causes nausea and shortness of breath when I go to the desert?

when i go to the desert i feel neasea and shortness of breath. it doesnt have to be hot, its the air change, what can i at or drink to feel less effected
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can try fresh fruit juices and mild antiemetic Detailed Answer: Hello, You can get yourself well hydrated few hours before visiting desert.Also take adequate salt or electrolyte preparations. Skipping fresh fruit juices will also help.Mild antimetics can help relieve nausea. Give it a try, hopefully you will have lesser symptoms. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes nausea and shortness of breath when I go to the desert? 10 hours later
In your brief answer you said try fresh fruit juices. in your detailed answer you said skip fresh fruit. confusing answer. I dont think I should br docked second answer for this. In my original question I said the desert doesnt have to be hot, that its the air that make me feel this way.. Read it again. It could be only 75 degrees out.You said lots of fluid and electrolytes ahead of time.. again its not the heat or dehydration during my winter visits. I dont feel my question was answered properly and satisfactorily!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please let me clarify few points. Detailed Answer: Hello, I thinking sipping fresh juice got auto-corrected to "Skipping".Sorry for that. If this happens only in desert , then its obviously weather related. 75 degrees is pretty high temperature.And at this temperature dry air can cause loss of body fluid without you being aware of it. In winter also air humidity is low so you loose moisture through breath , that's the reason dehydration occurs unknowingly.Same is the reason you get dry skin and cracked lips in winter because of loss of moisture.Many individuals are not aware that they can get dehydrated in winter as well. So it not temperature of air but moisture and dryness of air that affects loss of fluid. Hope this helps.Please ask your doubts.I will be happy to help.Regards.