What causes nausea and cramping after taking Plan b?

Hi. I have been taking Yaz for over 7 years. I had sex last Saturday (2/1) while I was on the 5th day of my active (pink) pills. We used a condom, but I was nervous anyways, so I took Plan B on the last day I could (within 72 hours), last Tuesday (2/4). Now I feel nauseous still and cramping, and am stressing out that I may be pregnant. I'm hoping these are just side affects of taking Plan B while on birth control (I've still been taking my Yaz). My period is not supposed to come for another 2 weeks at least... Can you please help put my mind at ease? Thanks!
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax, sounds like the side effects of Plan B. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Please relax, you are not pregnant. You had three protective measures, in which case I would say it is impossible to get pregnant. The cramping you are experiencing is due to Plan B, that is because, you were already on a regular course of birth control pills, on top of that you took Plan B, which are nothing but hormones, so as the concentration of these pills goes down, you will experience pain, and you might even get some bleeding, that is quite expected. Your period which should come two weeks later might also be delayed because of Plan B, that is also quite expected, you do not have to worry about that too. Don't worry, you are not pregnant. Hope that answers your query and puts your mind at ease. Kind regards.