What causes nausea after an endoscopy?

had endoscopy done which showed irritation due to finding bile in the stomach ... was given medication which coats the lining of the stomach twice per day ... the nausea continues in spite of the meds
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please provide the names of your current drugs... Detailed Answer: Hi, Could you please give the names of the drugs you are currently taking? That could help me assist you further! You are saying that you are still having nausea although the stomach drugs. I'd suggest as following to alleviate nausea: - eat often and small portions and slowly - avoid fatty or citrus food - consult with your GI specialist to start a prescription anti-nausea drug - take probiotics - drink plenty of water - do not lay down/sleep immediately after eating Looking forward to have the requested data of yours in! Thank you! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What causes nausea after an endoscopy? 4 hours later
I have been prescribed ...Carafate 1GM/10ML Suspension Twice daily
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sucralfate helps improve stomach irritation... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. Carafate contains sucralfate, one of the side effects of which includes nausea and vomiting. Furthermore, the irritation of the stomach by the bile causes also nausea. If you have been taking carafate for some days, please have patience until improvement. The earlier advice could also help together with monitoring of blood pressure as you are reporting high blood pressure. Try to eat odorless foods and avoid processed and greasy ones. Take care! Dr.Alba