What causes nasal congestion and smelly diarrhoea with rash around the groin area?

Hi, can you help with my son's ongoing symptoms? he was born at 29weeks gestation & got necrotising entercolitis which he had an extended right hemicolectomy. the problem is we appear to be going round in circles he starts getting real bad nasal congestion then gets watery foul smelling diarrhoea which causes a severe rash starting around the anus & spreading all over the buttocks & groin the skin breaks & bleeds (the rash lasts about a week) he then gets a cough & wheezing & rapid breathing particulary at night he also gets a rash around his mouth & neck (but not sure if it is teething although they is no sign of any teeth) he is then ok apart from nasal congestion & it sounds like chest congestion for 3-5 days & then the cycle starts again & with each cycle it is lasting longer the last cycle was 8 weeks
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Zinc oxide paste will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX Being a parent myself I do understand your concern and apprehension. As colon is concerned with absorption of water from stools and converting them into solid stools from liquid. In the surgical removal of colon there may be watery diarrhoea especially if there is associated upper respiratory tract infection. Over a period of time upto 18months the small intestine undergoes adaptation by increasing the surface area of absorption by increase in depth of villi and mucosa folds and slowly taking over the function of colon. During this time there could be numerous episodes of loose motion. The principle of management will be 1. Prevent dehydration by ensuring good intake of fluids 2. Prevent the excoriation and redness in peri anal and buttock region. I have discussed this issue with my husband who is a Neonatal and Pediatric Surgeon. I would advise you the following 1. Continue giving breastfeeding if you are still giving. Top feeds like smashed banana will be very helpful 2. Peri anal application of either Zinc oxide paste or egg white will be helpful. It acts as a barrier and prevents contact of liquid stools with skin surrounding the anus and prevents the rash. Zinc oxide paste is highly beneficial. 3. Few drops of Pomegranate juice given during episode of loose motion will be helpful to limit the loose stools. 4. Jaiphal (Nutmeg): If nutmeg is available locally, half nutmeg can be crushed and added to half glass of water. Mix it well and decoction prepared . This decoction should be given to the child during loose motion. 5 to 1 0 drops four times a day. It is also very helpful in limiting the loose motion. 5. Normal Saline nasal drops inserted in the nose thrice a day will help in clearing the nose. Over period of next 6 months the frequency of loose motion will definitely reduce . The above tricks are very useful in management of such cases. Also apply zinc oxide all over the perianal region and buttocks. wishing you and your baby a very happy and healthy life. take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS MD